Rules for Handicap Tournaments
LRTA Tournaments are run according to the Laws of Tennis. In addition, the LRTA Rules for LRTA Tournaments apply to all LRTA Tournaments and the Rules below apply to the British Handicap tournaments. Click here to download a printable version.
LRTA Rules Specific to the British Ladies' Handicap Tournament
1. ROUND-ROBIN SINGLES for the Groups of four players, all matches: 25 minutes allowed, starting at 1 all and playing first to 6-game set; for the Groups of three players, all matches 35 minutes allowed, starting at 1 all and playing first to 8-game set. Positions following the Round Robin will be decided on:
(a) Matches won.
(b) If matches won are equal, it will be decided on who won the most number of games.
(c) If the number of games won is equal, it will be decided on who lost the least number of games.
(d) If still equal, it will be decided on the result of the match between the two equal players.
If there is still a tie in a group of three, the result will be decided by the toss of a coin - all three players toss at the same time and the odd one out goes out.
Whilst the Round-robin matches are not timed, knock-ups will be limited to two minutes. The timer for the knock-up will be started as the players in the previous match leave the court.
ALL KNOCK OUT MATCHES (doubles and singles), 30 minutes allowed per match, 1 first to 6-game set, starting at 1all. Matches will not be time limited, but knock-up time will be strictly limited to 2 minutes, the timer being started as the players in the previous match leave the court.
2. Players must arrive AT LEAST half-an-hour before their match. We play to a VERY TIGHT SCHEDULE. Following the two minute knock-up time, for each two minutes a player is kept waiting for her opponent on court (even if the match starts early and is within a quarter-of-an-hour of the scheduled time) a game shall be awarded to the waiting player.
4. The Tournament Committee reserves the right to revise handicaps if necessary.
5. All players should wear predominantly white clothing.
6. The decisions of the Tournament Committee are final.
7. The format of the tournament may change depending on the number of entries.
(Updated January 2017)